The Link Road Corridor Study started in October 2018 to identify options for the proposed east-west link road (the Link Road). The Link Road would provide a key connection between Appin Road, Gilead and Menangle Road, Menangle Park and support growth in the region.
The Link Road would also provide access to the future Spring Farm Parkway Stage 1 and the Hume Motorway. A future Stage 2 of the Spring Farm Parkway would complete the connection from Appin Road to the Camden Bypass.
Transport for NSW developed an options report for the proposal for an east-west link between Appin Road and Menangle Road and requested community feedback on a short list of four options. The community consultation period is now closed.
Provide an efficient east-west link across the Greater Macarthur Growth Area
Cater for active and public transport
Integrate with existing and future land uses
Minimise environmental impact
Ensure the safety for all users
Maximise value for money
Identification of the short list options
Transport for NSW has consulted with key stakeholders including the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment and Campbelltown City Council to identify a long list of nine route options within the study area. Key constraints within the study area were also identified including:
- Aboriginal heritage
- Air quality
- Biodiversity (flora and fauna)
- Landscape character and visual amenity
- Land use
- Noise and vibration
- Non-Aboriginal heritage
- Utilities (gas, electricity, water supply, sewer, local quarry and gas plant)
- Water quality.
The project team also developed criteria to measure each option for traffic efficiency, active and public transport, land use, environmental impact, value for money and safety.
Consultation with key stakeholders continued and each of the nine options were assessed in detail using the identified constraints and criteria. The nine options were short-listed to four options and key stakeholders identified their recommended option.
Further information on the assessment process can be found in the Link Road Corridor Study Options Report.
The four short-listed options would include:
- A dual carriageway connection between Appin Road and Menangle Road
- Four lanes with a wide central median that would allow an additional travel lane in each direction, if required in the future
- 80 km/h speed limit
- Bridges or drainage structures to cross creeks and flood prone land
- Noise mitigation where the road is close to existing communities. The exact locations would be confirmed during further design.