About M6 Stage 1
The M6 Stage 1 will deliver the missing link from Sydney’s south to the wider Sydney motorway network making journeys easier, faster and safer. It will remove more than 2,000 trucks a day from surface roads, and help return local streets to local communities.
Future Transport Strategy 2056 is the NSW Government's 40 year vision for transport outcomes in NSW. The M6 Stage 1 is a key part of this strategy, supporting safe, efficient and reliable journeys for people and freight.
Learn more about our project and the start of our construction work.
M6 Stage 1 key features:
- Twin four kilometre tunnels linking the M8 Motorway at Arncliffe to President Avenue at Kogarah
- Ramps between the main motorway tunnel and the surface intersection at President Avenue
- Tunnel stubs for a future connection south to extend the M6
- A new intersection at President Avenue including the widening and raising of President Avenue at this location
- Provision of new shared cyclist and pedestrian pathways connecting Bestic Street, Brighton Le Sands
- Motorway support infrastructure including tunnel ventilation systems and the motorway control centre
- New service utilities including a permanent power supply line
- Minor adjustments to local roads in the project area.
These project objectives have been identified to address the key Sydney road network issues:
Discover each project stage and learn more about the M6 Stage 1 project history. Download our Community Updates, Project Overviews and Submission Reports here. Select a date under "Project stages" to show the resources for that stage.
Resources to be provided at a later date.
The M6 Stage 1 project milestones are outlined in our timeline below: